Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Come and See! (Why I Share My Beliefs)


     I'm sure many of you wonder why I choose to be so open with sharing my religious and personal beliefs with you. In the October 2014 session of General Conference, a talk was given by David A. Bednar called "Come and See." He articulated my thoughts much better than I ever could on my own, so I want to share his words as well as some of my own to answer this question.

1.  I am not trying to sell you anything.

     I don't know about you, but one of my least favorite things in the world is being used as the target of a sales pitch. Like you, I hate feeling like I am being duped into buying a product because of the risk of offending the seller. I despise it when my friends just view me as a ticket to their next pay raise. And I definitely don't like finding out that an advertisement's promise was too good to be true. 

     Lucky for you, you don't have to worry about any of these three things. 

     "When we invite you to attend church with us or to learn with the full-time missionaries, we are not trying to sell you a product. As members of the Church, we do not receive prizes or bonus points in a heavenly contest. We are not seeking simply to increase the numerical size of the Church. And most importantly, we are not attempting to coerce you to believe as we do. We are inviting you to hear the restored truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ so you can study, ponder, pray, and come to know for yourself if the things we are sharing with you are true." 

     And if you decide not to take this invitation, then you don't need to worry about offending me or compromising our friendship. 


2. I am not trying to put you or your beliefs down in any way.

     By sharing my beliefs with you I am in no way putting yours down, nor am I saying that I am somehow better than you because of what I believe. I am simply sharing with a hope that something I say will resonate with you.

     As Elder Bednar says, "Some of you may respond [to the invitation in the above quote], 'But I already believe in Jesus and follow His teachings,' or 'I am not sure if God really exists.' Our invitations to you are not an attempt to diminish your religious tradition or life experience. Bring all that you know is true, good, and praiseworthy—and test our message. Just as Jesus beckoned two of His disciples to “come and see” (John 1:39), so we urge you to come and see if the restored gospel of Jesus Christ enlarges and enriches that which you already believe to be true."


3. Living the Gospel of Jesus Christ brings me joy, and I want to share that joy with you.

     Above all, the reason I share my beliefs with you is because of the great joy living them has brought to my life. "...[My] desire to share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ with you is a reflection of how important these truths are to [me]... [I] also have experienced the cleansing, the peace of conscience, the spiritual healing and renewal, and the guidance that are obtained only by learning and living the principles of the Savior’s gospel.

      "The Atonement of Jesus Christ provides the cleanser necessary to be made pure and clean, the soothing salve to heal spiritual wounds and remove guilt, and the protection that enables us to be faithful in times both good and bad."

     Unlike many of the sales pitches of today, I can promise you that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is in no way too good to be true. "...His Church has been restored in its fulness in these latter days," and there is so much peace, love, and joy to be found in its teachings. 

     Again, I invite you to "come and see." Come and see what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has to offer. Read the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. You can request a free copy here or read it online here. What have you got to lose? At the very least, it is a book full of interesting and uplifting stories from ancient times. But it could also change your life. I know it has changed mine. 

     If you decide to read the Book of Mormon, send me an email! I would LOVE to hear your thoughts! To learn more about Jesus Christ, locate a Mormon church close to you, (visitors ALWAYS welcome) meet with the Mormon missionaries, learn more about Joseph Smith, or chat with Church representatives, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik