Tuesday, July 28, 2015

New Room-Cleaning Charts

It has been an absolute nightmare trying get the kids to clean their rooms lately. Since I want all of us to maintain our sanity throughout their childhood, I had to come up with a different way to go about it.

I read this article the other day and thought it could really help create more of a structure with how the kids clean their rooms: 


(Ignore my not-so-good artwork)

I made a very non-fancy chart for each of the kids' rooms with each step written down and a picture to help them remember (and hopefully be able to do it with minimal help one day).

I made a big deal of the charts and asked each kid where they wanted theirs on the wall in their room, then we taped them up and I explained the steps to them. After that we actually got to work. I have to say that it made a huge difference for Ellie! (I have yet to try it with Nathan) She knew what step we were on, which helped her know what to pick up next, rather than me endlessly pointing at objects and asking her to put them away. 

I'm really hoping that this will make a permanent difference in helping my kids learn to clean their rooms, and that it will give them a pattern to follow when cleaning any other room in the house.

Wish us luck! 

1 comment:

  1. I think it is a constant battle to teach kids to work, but so worth it. I remember trying new things all the time and they all worked for a while. Change makes it less boring for the kids. You have great kids!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik