Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Nursing Program Results

On Friday I got an email from the head of Nursing that I needed to pick up my results letter Monday through Thursday of this week. So naturally I went the first possible minute I could. Sam dropped me off at the Clarke building and sat in the parking lot while I went down to the office. There were tons of other people waiting in line, so as I was talking to the girl in front of me she mentioned that there were 110 people going for 30 positions.

I finally got up to the desk and gave them my name, and they couldn't find my letter for a while... So that freaked me out! But I finally got the letter and went back out to the car to open it. I couldn't open it since my hands were shaking so much, so I made Sam do it. Then I read it, and I didn't get in for Fall semester. So I was bummed, but I really tried not to cry. :)

I was doing pretty good until we got home, and Sam said, "You don't have to try to be strong." So then it just all came out. He sat there and held me while I cried, and it was so perfect. He didn't try to fix any problems, he just let me get it all out.

Then I took him to class, and when I came back I called my mom. I thought I was good emotionally, but when I told her I started to cry again. How embarrassing. :) But she's my mom so she just listened.

After I hung up with my mom I decided to just sleep since I had class that afternoon. I slept for about 2 hours, and when I woke up I felt so much better! I picked Sam up from class and we talked more about it and figured out what I'm going to take next semester, how I'm going to meet with the head of the department to ask questions about what I need to do to get in, but also get my name circulated around the department. So I was bummed for about 2 hours, but since then I've been fine! And I really can say that I am happy with the decision that has been made.

I took Sam to work later that afternoon after we had talked and figured some things out, and when I came back I had flowers waiting by my door! Thanks Mom!!!

Then an hour later I went to work and told my friend, Sally, that I didn't get into the nursing program and she was disappointed for me, but said "Oh no... If you didn't get in, then I have no hope."

So I've already applied to the program for Winter semester, and I'm hoping that my GPA and my meeting with the department head improve my chances of getting in for Winter! We'll just have to see!

6 comments:

  1. Dad and I were talking about this, and what a bummer it is. But then he said, "Remember when I didn't get that job at the law firm in Chicago, and I thought life was over as I knew it, and I couldn't for the life of me understand why?"
    Think how different all of our lives would have been if we'd lived in Illinois instead of AZ.
    Someday, you may be grateful for this learning experience.
    Love from home,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry about this, Heidi. I know how hard you've been working, and I wanted so much for you to get in. But I'm happy that you are happy with the decision. I'm sure that things will work out the way they need to for your Winter application! It sounds like you know how to proceed. I guess that we just have to remember that the Lord knows best, and He always has a plan for us! (For example, I am REALLY REALLY REALLY glad that you didn't grow up in Illinois! :) )

    Thanks for always being an amazing example to me! I hope your class is going well and that Sam is liking his as well! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking along the same lines as your Mom's comment, it's so true. I'm preparing my RS lesson for this Sunday, from Elder Martino's and Elder Hallstom's talks. These quotes came to mind as I read your post (both from Elder Martino-pg. 101/Sunday PM Session)

    "Each of us will face trials and tests...it is how we react to those difficulties that will determine our success and happiness."

    "We may never know in this life why we face what we do, but we can feel confident that we can grow from the experience."

    Sometimes we never figure out why the Lord's plan is different than what we think it should be, the key is learning that in the end we'll be better off for seeking His will and finding peace and happiness in His plan for us.

    Sounds like you are on the right track in your attitude & good luck with Winter Semester admissions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, you have such a positive outlook on life! I wish that more people could be like you. Keep up all your hard work. It will be worth it in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have already learned that your life is in the Lord's hands. That is why you can face the most terrible disappointment and then just get on with what needs to be done. I am glad that you are living so that the Spirit can guide you. (It doesn't hurt to have a great, understanding husband, either, does it.) We loved being with both of you on Tuesday. LOVE

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik