Friday, August 26, 2016

Ellie's First Day of Kindergarten

Ellie started kindergarten on Wednesday. I know it's cliche, but it's totally true - they grow up way too fast! She was a little nervous, so she requested a picture of our family to take with her in case she missed us. 

First Day of School Interview:

3 feet 9 3/4 inches tall
42.1 pounds
Favorite Color: Pink
Best Friend: Troy and Saurey
Favorite Book: Peter Rabbit
Favorite Movie: Batman (it's a cartoon...)
Favorite Song: Can't Stop the Feeling by Justin Timberlake (she started singing it as soon as I asked her what her favorite song was)
Favorite Food: Spaghetti and Meatballs
When I Grow up I want to Be: A Mommy
My favorite thing about myself is: How I can hear
The thing I am most excited to learn about in school this year is: Learning to read

Of course I made her take the obligatory first day of school pictures! I didn't pick the most well-lit spot ever, but I wanted to have her picture next to the growth chart on our wall so I can see how much she grows between school years.


She didn't really want to smile for me. She just wanted to "make a video," so we did that:


She came up with her own "script." 

Then she had to do silly pictures, of course!




And I finally got her to smile:


And I guess I was doing an overly animated smile to get her to smile, because then she raised her eyebrows and said, "You're smiling like this, Mom, that's why I'm smiling like this."


The boys were really excited to see "Ellie's school," so they all came with me to drop her off.


When we walked in the door Ellie exclaimed, "Hi Teacher!" She walked right over to the coat/backpack hanger with her name on it that we had seen in kindergarten open house the day before, found her name tag and had me put it on, then found her friends and didn't look back. She wasn't emotional at all, and surprisingly, neither was I. Just proud of my little girl.

We met her at the bus stop that is a few houses down from ours after school:


As we were walking home she said, "Mom, why did you come pick me up? I can walk home by myself." 

She also said the same thing she said after the first day of preschool: "Mom, they didn't teach me to read yet." I had to explain that it takes a long time to learn how to read, but I guess she will learn that for herself in a few weeks when they start reading!

As soon as we got home she showed me her folder and the craft they had made and said, "I didn't even have to look at the picture of you guys!" 

I guess she is all grown up now!

I went to my first PTO meeting last night before Back to School night, and it was just strange. I feel like I am still a kid myself - how can I be old enough to be a part of PTO? I am excited to be starting this new chapter of life with my kiddos, though. I am trying my best to enjoy each stage as it comes, because I know it won't last.

3 comments:

  1. PTO seems like really advanced parenting to me.:) It looks like she had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO remember taking you and Brenn to Kindergarten! I did not get emotional either, all my kids were just too excited to start school for me to be sad. (Well, Logan may have been a little teary) The video was fabulous! What a treasure that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this girl. That's all.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik