Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Life Is to Be Enjoyed.


     This morning as I was nursing Jonah I took a little scroll through Facebook (Don't judge. I know you're supposed to have all of this uninterrupted eye contact time while your baby is nursing, but sometimes I look at Facebook, a'ight? Don't tell me I'm the only one.) and I saw that one of my friends from nursing school started a new job. When I saw it I started to tell Sam how awesome it was for her, but I (embarrassingly) began to get a little bit emotional. Maybe it was that potty training was getting to me, or that I had found yet another dried remnant of the purple play dough we made yesterday stuck to the bottom of my foot. I could have sworn I got them all.

     Either way, I was feeling a little put out. I worked so hard to get my nursing degree, and I see all of my classmates getting their dream jobs: Primary Children's Hospital, Phoenix Children's Hospital, NICU, Surgery, Labor and Delivery, Cardiac. I wondered if I am wasting what I learned in nursing school by choosing to stay home with my kids.

     Then I looked over at my little Nathan, working so hard to pull down his new big boy underwear so he could go potty. My Ellie, dancing around in her pajamas. My Jonah, looking up at me with his big brown eyes while he finished up his breakfast. And I had no doubt that this is where I need to be right now.

    I'm sure that one day I will get to work in the NICU or Labor and Delivery like I have always dreamed. But for now, I get to fulfill my lifelong dream of being a mom.

     I'm going to enjoy the kids dirtying up the blankets and dish towels from the monstrous pile of clean laundry I have to wait until naptime to fold by using them as capes.



     I'm going to enjoy rolling out playdough with my kids, because who else will be ridiculously proud of the ugly dragon Ellie insisted that I make?


     I'm going to enjoy impromptu dance parties to "Happy" and "Let it Go," even though I have been sick of both songs for upwards of three months.

(sideways video... sorry!)

     I'm so blessed to be a mom, and I'm going to enjoy every second of it.

     Well, maybe not every second...

2 comments:

  1. When you were Ellie's age, you always had a cape on too. Cute to see that times haven't changed. I am SO thankful that conditions permit you to be a stay at home Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure it is the potty training...pretty much the hardest thing I ever did!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik