Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Truths I Know: We Are Children of God


     In this post yesterday I shared a little bit about what "Mormon" General Conference is and who will be speaking. Because it is coming up this weekend, I thought I would share some of my favorite teachings from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints through snippets from the most recent General Conference that took place in April 2014. 

     The first teaching I will talk about is that we are all children of God.

     In Genesis 1:26-27 it says, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over ... all the earth... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

     "Mormons" believe that we (everyone, not simply members of our faith) are literal sons and daughters of God, which is why we also refer to Him as our Heavenly Father. 

     "One eternal truth that I have come to know is that God lives. He is our Father. We are His children... Of all the other titles that He could have used, He chose to be called 'Father.'" 
             ~ From a sermon given by a modern-day apostle of Jesus Christ, President Boyd K. Packer, entitled The Witness

     I echo the truths shared through word and song in April. I know that we are each children of God, and that He loves us. He is mindful of us. If we are mindful of Him we will see that He is in the details of our everyday lives. 

     This video was also shared at the conference in April. I love it because it shows God's children from all over the world, in many different languages, testifying of their divine heritage through song.


Here are the lyrics to the song they are singing:

1. I am a child of God,
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.

2. I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.

3. I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will,
I'll live with him once more.

4. I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.

Chorus
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

     We can communicate with Him through prayer. I know He listens. He waits anxiously to hear from us, and He always answers our prayers.

     We will be hearing His word through His prophets this weekend. Please join us!


     The upcoming session of this conference will be held on Saturday, October 4th at 10am - 12pm MDT and 2pm - 4pm MDT, as well as Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 10am - 12pm MDT and 2pm - 4pm MDT.  (MDT = Mountain Daylight Time)

     Watch or listen to any or all sessions here


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik