Saturday, July 19, 2014

While Daddy's Away: Day 20


We made it home to Rexburg safe and sound. I am so glad to be home! We left this morning at 4:30 (Arizona time), and got home just before 9 (Idaho time). We made pretty good time, I think!

The kids were so good considering how long we were in the car. I really can't believe how well-behaved they were for such a long drive. It was definitely a tender mercy for me since I was really stressed out about the trip.

Some things we did to help the time pass by were movies for the kids (I am an unashamed advocate of letting the kids watch movies in the car on long trips. I can't read very many books to them before I get carsick, so if it keeps them entertained and keeps them from fighting, it's alright with me. I'm sure my opinion will change a little when they get older and can do more things for themselves, but for now it works.) I also bought a few dollar store toys/books and put them in paper bags, then every once in awhile when the kids got restless I would let them open a surprise. (It was my mom's idea, and it was absolutely worth it.)


One surprise was a coloring book with stickers and crayons. The stickers didn't actually end up in the book though. :)


The biggest hits were the slinkies. They played with them for quite awhile. We won't mention what they looked like by the time we got home though... Let's just say they can't be untangled.


We found that if we let the kids out for about two minutes each time we got gas - enough time for a potty break but not enough time to get used to being out of the car - they were refreshed and ok with getting back into their car seats. Nathan just wanted to be held when we let him out, and I definitely didn't mind snuggling him.


One of the biggest helps was that my brother Ben drove with me. I really couldn't have done it without him. He took half of the driving and helped the kids while I drove.


We stopped in Tremonton so I could feed Jonah and Ben played with the kids. 



I didn't get any good pictures, but they were in heaven. I'm so grateful for that brother of mine. (And my three other brothers too, of course :))


Jonah hardly made a peep the entire time. He cried a little when he got hungry, but other than that he slept and just looked around. He is such a pleasant baby.


And of course there was a fair amount of crying from the older two, but that is to be expected on a long road trip with three tiny kiddos! We are all grateful to be out of the car and in our beds tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Undoubtedly my favorite picture is Ben bent over in the park with the caption below reading, "I didn't get any good pictures, but they were in heaven." :)

    I love you guys and can't wait to be there with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that Sam will be getting home but, I will miss the daily posts. What a great brother to make that long drive with you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik